**********************************THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE*********************************
This blog captured my summer adventures while an APM Intern at Google.
I have currently moved-on to full-time work in the start-up world and am writing my new Sprucing It Up blog instead.
Thank you for reading!
**********************************************************************************************************************

Search This Blog

Intern at Google by day; San Fransisco devotee by night.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Google Kittens: Being a Stray Never Looked So Good

I admit it: I am getting used to the over-the-top nature of life at Google. This morning I took a video conference with Zurich while eating breakfast: vanilla chai and  9-grain organic oatmeal with strawberries and honey. I did about an hour of UI design while sitting in one of the many free massage chairs. What can I say: life is good at Google. And yet some things still surprise me...

I was walking through main campus back to my office this afternoon, when I found my gaze drifting over to the large collection of bushes and shrubs to my left. I blinked. No, not an illusion: there were Googlers standing in bushes at various points as if looking for something. So naturally, I decided to join. I learned that they were attempting to catch the stray Google kittens that frequent the campus. A woman was straddling a cardboard box with a encased kitten settled snugly in the corner. But don't be fooled by the domestic appearance (see the well-practiced-innocent-kitten-face below); a hand near the box opening results in 10 new scratch marks!
Why so many kittens on campus, you may ask? The logic to me is actually fairly simple: mix an excess of free food (including steaks, chicken, fish, you name it!) and a bunch of suckers for adorable kitten faces...bam! KITTEN COLONY! Today's progress includes two kittens now safely in a shelter waiting to move into a good home. Two down...hundreds to go?

This past weekend was a four-day weekend (thank you, Google, for an extra day off!). The best way to describe my 4th of July weekend is wonderfully tiring: went hiking to waterfalls north of Santa Cruz, went dancing for hours in the famed Castro district downtown, watched fireworks on top of 15-story building overlooking the San Francisco bay, played in parks and visited farmer's markets across the city, and spent a day at the Great America theme park for free (thanks again, Google). Suddenly, being a Google kitten doesn't sound as awesome, huh? Love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment