**********************************THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE*********************************
This blog captured my summer adventures while an APM Intern at Google.
I have currently moved-on to full-time work in the start-up world and am writing my new Sprucing It Up blog instead.
Thank you for reading!
**********************************************************************************************************************

Search This Blog

Intern at Google by day; San Fransisco devotee by night.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

World Cup - Goooooooal!

This morning I got into work excessively early. I took the a shuttle leaving from downtown San Francisco at 6:40 AM in order to make it to work before a video conference for a new project I am working on with Zurich. Needless to say, due to the 9 hour time difference between California and Switzerland, Zurich teams have to stay late for meetings and California teams arrive early.

After working on the wifi-equipped shuttle for the hour in preparing for the meeting, I decided to take a break and go for a walk. One of my favorite things to do in the morning is take a five minute walk across the Google campus to a Google-run coffee shop. It's no Starbucks, but they can make you almost any kind of drink you want. And the pastries are homemade and delicious. Oh right, and it's free!

Next to the coffee shop, I was surprised to find a collection of Googlers sitting in couches facing a wall this early in the morning. And then I noticed the three big screen projections on the wall facing them -- a triple display display of live World Cup action, all day long! While I don't follow soccer much, I thoroughly enjoyed joining a group of Googlers on a couch and listening to the tactical talk while sipping my caramel macchiato. I felt it was a bit ironic to listen to the banter about Switzerland recently upsetting the favorite, Spain, yesterday. Note to self: find out if the Googlers in your Zurich meeting like soccer -- if so, CELEBRATE!

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, you don't want to miss the Google feature specifically for the world cup. If you type in "world cup" into Google.com, you'll see a cool display of the most recent action. Be sure not to miss the bottom of the page, which has been changed from Gooooooogle to Gooooooal!



No comments:

Post a Comment