**********************************THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE*********************************
This blog captured my summer adventures while an APM Intern at Google.
I have currently moved-on to full-time work in the start-up world and am writing my new Sprucing It Up blog instead.
Thank you for reading!
**********************************************************************************************************************

Search This Blog

Intern at Google by day; San Fransisco devotee by night.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

IMPACT: No plans for Russia ... don't panic...yet.

Did I mention that other than playing all the time, I happen to learn too? When you are surrounded with many of the most brilliant people in the country, learning in high volume is somewhat inevitable, I guess. However, this also translates to exceedingly high expectations of all Google employees, including interns.

While at work, I find myself in a somewhat alternate reality as I spend the day working with people and on projects that we all understand (or, as the case for interns may be, eventually understand). Sometimes I try to allow my mind to detach itself from my body and float off as some ephemeral observer over the room -- everything surprises me, as I quietly take in how bizarrely fascinating this place can be. Here a few moments just from the Friday in my third week at work that caused my conscious to hiccup:

  • I had one-on-one video conference meetings today with both Zurich and New York City. The most ironic part? This is not atypical for a given day of the week. We looked over some of my designs and talked about the engineering feasibility of launching the features within weeks. Again: weeks. Google rolls products out fast and furiously.
  • There is a cafe on the Googleplex campus which makes delectable mango smoothies. Most afternoons when I am not in meetings that I can't take over video chat on my laptop, I go and sprawl out under the trees with a smoothie. My favorite work spot happens to be on the field where the sand volleyball court is (and yes, Mom, since I know you're smiling a little... sometimes I get a little distracted and watch the Googlers play! haha). Today I met Sameer who was in search for a Co-ed doubles volleyball partner for a tournament next weekend in Santa Cruz. He had already paid the fees when his regular partner had to cancel. Sigh...so I'll be playing all day on the gorgeous beaches of Santa Cruz next weekend. We hit around a bit after work, and it seems like all of my old doubles reactions haven't left me yet.
  • Every Friday afternoon, Google throws a giant party. This past week, it was a large awards ceremony celebrating a few special achievements made by some employees. OH -- have I told you about Ken? Ken is a new deaf friend who helps me practice my ASL; he works on CC for YouTube. He is brilliant, funny, and most lucky for me, patient. Anyway, we watched the awards ceremony together, along with his interpreter. It was fabulous to get some practice and begin picking up some technical signs.  
Also this Friday, I had my first small moment of panic. As I was working in my office, I got an email that made me realize I could be in a little over my head. Here's my attempt at capturing the moment on video:



No comments:

Post a Comment