**********************************THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER ACTIVE*********************************
This blog captured my summer adventures while an APM Intern at Google.
I have currently moved-on to full-time work in the start-up world and am writing my new Sprucing It Up blog instead.
Thank you for reading!
**********************************************************************************************************************

Search This Blog

Intern at Google by day; San Fransisco devotee by night.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Eternal Flame: You Must (First) Set Yourself on Fire.

I'll concede that I can be a bit cheesy at times. So grab your favorite Melba toast and bottle of wine ... this will be my final post on this blog, and cheese is inevitable.

Saying goodbyes at Google was just as difficult as you might expect -- if anyone reading this has parted ways with me at some point, you need no further explanation! Packing up my beautiful Victorian room also wasn't fun. My last two breakfasts in the city took place at a cafe a few blocks from my house -- The Grove, Fillmore. It's one of my favorites and should not be missed if you're in the area (I recommend the Mac&Cheese and orange juice ... though maybe not paired together). 

It's time for me to close the last twelve weeks of my life in Silicon Valley, and begin a new adventure here in Boulder, Colorado.  I opened this blog with a couple mantras I picked up in Elizabeth Glibert's
Eat.Pray.Love. : La dolce vita; La dolce stil nuovo (the sweet life; the sweet new style).  I am overwhelmed as I realize that I spent my last 3 months fulfilling the potential of these quotes. I truly lived a sweet life and could not be more grateful to the people who contributed and celebrated these ideals with me this summer. 


A quest to continue living my life in a way that fuels my eternal flame is no trivial feat. But I think I'm up for it. I have a few people in my life who add kindling to my fire, just by letting me in their presence. I have a few blocks of wood, stacked and built over time to outlast the winds and chills that may come up. And of course, I always have the hope of finding those handfuls of gasoline, that when thrown on the fire, cause everyone to step back and silently say, "Wow," as they watch the flames erupt in a beautiful display towards the sky.  


Here's to my (and your) future being lit by consistent, flickering light.

Katie

3 comments:

  1. Katie- it's been awesome summer! This post definitely hit a nerve. I'll be back in Colorado for a few days in early Sept - we should def grab lunch or something

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s been a great blog, I've been reading it (without telling you?) since the day I met you. This last post is inspiring -- let's all keep our Google-kindled flames burning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post, Katie. Love the song reference! Have you ever considered being a motivational speaker? You'd rock at it :)

    ReplyDelete